A weddingcouple holding hands

Civil marriage

It is possible to have a civil marriage performed and registered in the Municipality of Sundbyberg.

An appointment for the ceremony can be scheduled with one of the Marriage Officiators .

The appointment for a civil marriage can be made no earlier than two weeks after the day of booking with the marriage co-ordinator.

The ceremonies are held in the beautiful marriage-room at the municipality office in Rissne. Civil Marriage is performed according to a special marriage format.

At every marriage two witnesses must accompany the couple.

The names and addresses of the witnesses should be registered during the time of marriage booking. If the couple cannot arrange their own witnesses then two municipality employees will carry out the formalities.

The Marriage Counsellors represent the Municipality of Sundbyberg and are chosen by Länsstyrelsen (County Administration).  

Any restrictions or hindrances to the civil marriage must be investigated and addressed in advance.

These investigations are conducted by Riksskatteverket (the Swedish tax authority) where you can order forms for these investigations. The form is jointly completed and submitted by the applicants in the county where they are registered as residents.

The “Certificate for consideration of impediments to marriage" is then submitted to the municipality together with an application for a time for the ceremony.  

After the civil ceremony, a Certificate of Civil Marriage is issued by the presiding Marriage Counsellor. It is the responsibility of the counsellor there after to inform the tax authority that the marriage has been performed.

Marriage officiators in Sundbyberg

Some officiators are elected representatives holding political posts and others are municipality employees.

A time to book your wedding can be arranged by directly calling the counsellor.

Gunilla Ehrenhorn (L)
073-908 11 40
Speaks Swedish, English, German and French

Inger Gran (L)
Speaks Swedish and English

Senast uppdaterad 16 August 2017